[Geany-devel] COBOL syntax highlighting and filetype support

Seth Keiper erstazi at xxxxx
Thu Sep 10 22:57:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:06:54 -0400
> Seth Keiper <erstazi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to add filetype and highlighting support for COBOL but
>> I am running into an error:
>>
>> ../scintilla/libscintilla.a(KeyWords.o): In function `Scintilla_LinkLexers()':
>> ../scintilla/KeyWords.cxx:177: undefined reference to `lmCOBOL'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Not sure. Maybe run ./autogen.sh again?

Will do.

>> Provided in the attachment is the svn diff. Can someone maybe point me
>> in the right direction with this code, please? I would like to see
>> this in before 0.19 is released.
>
> Have you seen the HACKING file?

Yes, this is where I got the info to add the COBOL lexr

> A few points:
> We use an unmodified version of Scintilla - any changes to the COBOL
> lexer should be passed to Scintilla before we apply them. Using the C
> lexer style constants also means we don't have to update and maintain
> the cobol copies in editor.c.

I will submit this new lexer to the Scintilla project after the
changes are made.

> Also, can you use:
> filetype_make_title(ft, TITLE_FILE);
>
> Instead of:
> ft->title = g_strdup(_("COBOL file"));
>
> Because the former saves another translation entry.
>
> filetypes.cob should be called filetypes.cobol IIRC so Geany can see it.

Changing.

> Was including filetypes.cpy in the patch a mistake?

Yes, this was a mistake.

> Regards,
> Nick

Thank you,