[Geany-devel] Re : abc tagmanager patch

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Sep 7 21:54:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:38 +0000 (GMT), Forgeot wrote:

>>I don't want to add any arbitraryfiletypes.
>>We should limit the list of filetypes to those which are commonly
>>used. I think this "abc" should not be added.
>
>well, it's a pity because every major text editor I know has support
>for abc:
>
>- Emacs has an external plugin:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/mkjunker/abc-mode.el.html
>
>(It's also easier to include external support for this kind of editor
>because they don't need to be recompiled)
>
>- Vim has built-in syntax hightlight for ABC, it's included in the
>svn:
>
>http://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vim/vim7/runtime/syntax/abc.vim?revision=1586&view=markup
>
>- Kate has built-in syntax highlight too:
>http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kate/syntax/data/abc.xml?view=markup
>
>I'm developping also a linux live-cd dedicated to the use of ABC
>notation, among other things. It uses the Gnome desktop and Geany as
>the main text editor:
>
>http://anamnese.online.fr/site2/esclinux/esclinux2009_gnome1.png
>
>I can patch myself every new release of Geany to get the abc support,
>but modifying 6 files just for this is quite an heavy work.
>
>Only Geany has such amazing feature such as the tagmanager, it's the
>reason I wish Geany can support many filetypes. If it was only a
>matter of including a definition file into my ~/.geany, I wouldn't bug
>you for including it into the svn, I'd only propose it on my website.
>
>Here is a picture of Geany displaying a tunebook:
>http://anamnese.online.fr/site2/esclinux/kde_geany_abc1.png

Damn, you have really sweet arguments...especially a Linux distribution
with Geany as the editor...how can I not add your patch then?

I'm puzzled but if Nick doesn't disagree, I think we could go for it.
Even though we have already a wild bunch of minor used filetypes, we
have nothing related to music :).