[Geany-devel] Make with a new document - Re: ANN: Configurable build beta in trunk

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Sep 1 21:25:20 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:42:47 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Running Make on a new unsaved document (no filename) causes warnings
>> > and may crash on Windows using %s for a NULL string. Maybe disable Make
>> > menu items for new documents?
>>
>> No, disabling isn't right, the make commands are not inherently
>> dependent on the document, they can be configured to be totally
>> independent of it, in fact make often runs on the source *tree* and
>> doesn't care what document is current.
>
> OK, but what if the command is configured to use the current file's
> directory and the current file doesn't have a filename?

Then we should not fail and should give a useful status message, eg
"Build not run, requires a current directory" or some such

>> The thing is to find the problem.
>>
>>  Since I can't build on windows, can you provide any more feedback (a
>> backtrace or something) on what actually is complaining of a NULL.  I
>> can see several possible culprits although they all *should* be
>> protected from nulls, but they should not be windows dependent, why
>> can't it fail on Linux so I can see??? Grouch Grump Gripe...
>
> I haven't tried it on Windows, but from the messages window first line

I misread that you were running on windows :-)

> I saw:
>
> /usr/bin/make (in directory: (null))
>
> After running Make All on a new document.
>
> Also in the terminal there are tons of warnings from GLib:

Yeah clearly somewhere is bypassing the tests of null directory,
hopefully I'll get time to look later in the week.