[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable build beta in trunk

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Sep 1 18:57:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:42:47 +1000, Lex wrote:

>2009/9/1 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>:
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:35:54 +1000
>> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Let us know of any other problems
>>
>> Running Make on a new unsaved document (no filename) causes warnings
>> and may crash on Windows using %s for a NULL string. Maybe disable
>> Make menu items for new documents?
>
>No, disabling isn't right, the make commands are not inherently
>dependent on the document, they can be configured to be totally
>independent of it, in fact make often runs on the source *tree* and
>doesn't care what document is current.
>
>The thing is to find the problem.
>
> Since I can't build on windows, can you provide any more feedback (a
>backtrace or something) on what actually is complaining of a NULL.  I

On Windows, printf() with arguments being NULL crashes. No idea why but
it does, mostly.
For example things like:

char *s = NULL;
g_message("This is a %s string.", s);

is likely to crash. And this is why Nick suggested to early eliminate
such cases. It's harmless on non-Windows systems where you just see a
"(null)" string instead. On Windows, you see the operating systems
crash dialog...

And fixing the warnings Nick mentioned is a very step to pretend such
cases.