[Geany-devel] Build System and Latex

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon May 11 16:14:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:44:15 +1000, Lex wrote:

>> Hi
>

>I have been looking at the implementation of the build-system and in
>particular interactions with other parts of Geany.  In general it
>looks ok, but the latex menus and commands system seems to have a few
>interactions with the build system and menu.
>
>Since the new build-system allows the menu labels to be changed, (not
>just the commands) if I allow two run commands can we bring the latex
>build system back into the normal system?

I'd say we don't even need two run commands. Either interested users
'abuse' one of the build commands or they realise that most often one
run command is enough (based on my personal workflow with LaTeX, you
usually use only viewing DVIs or PDFs).
And e.g. when using evince, you don't even need a Run command at all as
it reloads the opened file once it has been regenerated.

>This has the advantages:
>1. removal of lots of nearly duplicate code building menus, dialogs and
>commands
>2. much simpler and cleaner build system (I'm not all that altruistic,
>this means that it is easy for me to see what I might break with my
>changes ;-)

Please, please do that. Remove all LaTeX-specific code now. For me, this
is one of the biggest advantages of your new code :).

The reason for the special LaTeX code was only to provide special stuff
for LaTeX. But with your new build system, this all should be easier
and cleaner. Please remove it.