[Geany-devel] multi-plugin plugin - Re: Python plugin API

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jun 15 18:00:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:25:40 +0200, Jonas wrote:

>Am 15.06.2009 00:02, schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>> Alternatively, maybe some kind of proxy plugin could do the trick:
>> this plugin is loaded by Geany as any other plugin, it provides the
>> necessary symbols Geany expects, and then this plugin provides some
>> interface to various real Python plugins by exporting the Geany API
>> in Python and so this plugin acts as some kind of proxy between
>> Geany and the Python plugins.
>But using this (which would be the easiest way to implement the
>interface) geany wouldn't know about Python plugins (Python plugins
>registered at that "proxy" plugin).

Yo, obviously. I'm not sure how we could get Geany to recognise Python
plugins in the first place. I think to get something like this working,
we would need to have the whole Python bindings stuff in Geany itself
and then we will run into the dependency problem again. If it is the
only way at all, it would be ok but as long as it can be avoided, it
should, IMO.

But again, I don't know much about this all, just wanted to throw in my
2cents :).