[Geany-devel] Python plugin API

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jun 10 15:33:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:40:44 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, but I guess you would need one C plugin wrapper per python plugin
> > > to wrap the plugin symbols that Geany sets.
> > Oh, well - you might be right. Do you think it's possible to handle more
> > than one plugin in one C file/module?
>
> I don't think we want to support that.

Having thought a bit more, perhaps that would be necessary for proper
Python plugins. But it would have to be an elegant and small impact
change to plugins.c. It would be interesting to see how other projects
do this.

> > How is this done with the lua
> > interface?
>
> You're probably thinking of the Lua Scripting Plugin, which is not an
> interface. You can try it from geany-plugins SVN if you want.

Basically the GeanyLua plugin wraps some Geany API functions and
exposes these to Lua scripts. The scripts are run when a menu item is
clicked, or a script is run in response to an event.

Regards,
Nick