[Geany-devel] Restructuring the Geany-plugins project?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Jun 10 09:08:31 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I finally did a decision at least for my plugins ;)

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 19:07:31 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:35:17 +0100, Nick wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:03:00 +0200
> >Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> >> (not sure about the other plugins)
> >
> >I can look after the geanylua plugin, I think that should be part of
> >the common release.

> >> So, I think if ever we need to find a solution for all or at least
> >> most plugins not only for some. And since Frank won't agree on the
> >> proposal of a common plugin project, I guess we will keep the
> >> current way with all its limitations as already pointed out and need
> >> to find workarounds or whatever for the translation issues and stuff.
> >
> >Well, I think there will perhaps be people that only want SVN access,
> >not anything else. So I propose we use trunk, tags, branches for common
> >geany-plugins code, and make another path for devs that only want SVN
> >access, and move those folders there.
> >
> >e.g.
> >trunk/
> >	configure.ac
> >	geanylua/
> >	etc
> >tags/
> >	geany-plugins-0.17
> >branches/
> >	geany-plugins-0.17
> >other/
> >	someproject/
> >
> >Then the dev could also create their own tags etc. subdirectories, it
> >would be up to them.
>
> Sounds quite good so far and wouldn't require much more than a 'svn
> mkdir other' :).

I agree.

And now my final point ;)
I'm ok with including my plugins to the big release but will keep on
doing separate releases at least for GeanyLaTeX from time to time where
I will point out the fact, it’s an addition release to the plugins one,
so users have a bit more flexibility while there are getting not to
much confused – a bit like it’s done with TeXlive and packages included
there. I will do all needed merging stuff here including the po files
etc. I pretty much hope there will be no negative impact on general
geany-plugins release and workload of release managing team. ;)

> But still the problem what I'm afraid of is that we end up in a mix of
> various plugins, plugin releases and users might get confused where
> which plugin is how developed and by whom.
>
> OTOH while thinking about, this is already partly the case as it will
> be always with independent plugins especially when a plugin author
> doesn't use the geany-plugins Sourceforge project and instead use some
> other place for hosting.
> So, my worries about that are maybe exaggerated. Perhaps it's enough
> when we try to keep update to date with the index page at
> http://plugins.geany.org and http://www.geany.org/Support/Plugins as a
> some kind of reference list of known plugins.

Yes. We should go one with progress we already started here. It’s from
my point of view a good thing for every user.

Cheers,
Frank
--
Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>