[Geany-devel] Restructuring the Geany-plugins project?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jun 10 14:41:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:08:31 +0200, Frank wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I finally did a decision at least for my plugins ;)

Yay!
I know this probably wasn't the most beloved decision you took but
since you maintain most of the current plugins, this is a great step
from my POV :). really appreciated.

>> >trunk/
>> >	configure.ac
>> >	geanylua/
>> >	etc
>> >tags/
>> >	geany-plugins-0.17
>> >branches/
>> >	geany-plugins-0.17
>> >other/
>> >	someproject/
>> >
>> >Then the dev could also create their own tags etc. subdirectories,
>> >it would be up to them.
>>
>> Sounds quite good so far and wouldn't require much more than a 'svn
>> mkdir other' :).
>
>I agree.

After thinking about it a bit more, I propose the following changes and
further steps to get this done:

Instead of moving any plugins into a 'other' directory from trunk, I
think it's the easiest way to create a new directory in trunk called
'geany-plugins' which will contain all plugins whose authors joined the
common release concept and of course the build system.
I.e. we will create the 'geany-plugins' directory and then the
plugin authors will move their own plugins into this directory to get
it part of the common release.
This way we won't break existing plugins whose authors don't want to
move on or currently can't do it (lack of time, whatever).

In short this means, all further actions on the common plugins will
happen in trunk/geany-plugins/.

If you agree so far, I will start with the conversion and create that
directory, move the spellcheck and addons into it, create the initial
po/ directory for the translations and adjust the Waf build system to
work properly. Once this is done, the other plugins authors can move
their stuff too and Chow can start working on the autotools based build
system.

Yo?

>And now my final point ;)
>I'm ok with including my plugins to the big release but will keep on
>doing separate releases at least for GeanyLaTeX from time to time where

That's absolutely fine.