[Geany-devel] Restructuring the Geany-plugins project?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jun 7 17:07:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:35:17 +0100, Nick wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:03:00 +0200
>Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> (not sure about the other plugins)
>
>I can look after the geanylua plugin, I think that should be part of
>the common release.

>> So, I think if ever we need to find a solution for all or at least
>> most plugins not only for some. And since Frank won't agree on the
>> proposal of a common plugin project, I guess we will keep the
>> current way with all its limitations as already pointed out and need
>> to find workarounds or whatever for the translation issues and stuff.
>
>Well, I think there will perhaps be people that only want SVN access,
>not anything else. So I propose we use trunk, tags, branches for common
>geany-plugins code, and make another path for devs that only want SVN
>access, and move those folders there.
>
>e.g.
>trunk/
>	configure.ac
>	geanylua/
>	etc
>tags/
>	geany-plugins-0.17
>branches/
>	geany-plugins-0.17
>other/
>	someproject/
>
>Then the dev could also create their own tags etc. subdirectories, it
>would be up to them.

Sounds quite good so far and wouldn't require much more than a 'svn
mkdir other' :).

But still the problem what I'm afraid of is that we end up in a mix of
various plugins, plugin releases and users might get confused where
which plugin is how developed and by whom.
OTOH while thinking about, this is already partly the case as it will
be always with independent plugins especially when a plugin author
doesn't use the geany-plugins Sourceforge project and instead use some
other place for hosting.
So, my worries about that are maybe exaggerated. Perhaps it's enough
when we try to keep update to date with the index page at
http://plugins.geany.org and http://www.geany.org/Support/Plugins as a
some kind of reference list of known plugins.