[Geany-devel] Fw: Re: Fw: Restructuring the Geany-plugins project?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jun 5 14:15:13 UTC 2009

Hey,

forwarded message of Andrew Janke :).

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 23:15:04 +1000
From: Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>
To: Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
Subject: Re: Fw: [Geany-devel] Restructuring the Geany-plugins project?

I am 100% for one big "approved" plugin package/repository/build thing.

More Pros:

* Lowers the bar for people (like me) to write a new one.  I
effectively wrote shift-column by reading the other plugins and
duplicating the entire build structure. In my case I am very familiar
with automake perhaps harder for others who aren't.  If all I had to
do was to add one line to Makefile.am and then make a new subdir,
things would have been a lot easier and I would have benefited from
others input on the build stuff.

* A lot of plugin authors (like myself) are generally just scratching
their own personal itches. Meaning once it works, the interest in
fixing bugs and updating the build system wanes. If they are part of a
big package this is ameliorated somewhat.

* All good plugins will eventually make it to Debian/Ubuntu/etc via
the help of others (package manager), this is a good thing!