[Geany-devel] Support SCI_LINESJOIN and SCI_LINESSPLIT (patch included)

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Mon Jul 20 18:44:27 UTC 2009

Hi Thomas.  Thanks for your reply and sorry for late answer.

> A project I'm involved in enforces the 80-char limit, so it would be of
> use for me. The problem would probably be the indentation still, since I
> prefer a wider indentation for lines which are split for the 80-char
> limit reason (2x4 spaces more than the line which was split has).

I think, there are many difficulties with applying this command to code
(not plain text or markup).  Consider an example:

void function_with_long_arguments_list(int argument, int another_argument);

I believe that most of C programmers will prefer splitting it into

void function_with_long_arguments_list(int argument,
   int another_argument);

And the command knows nothing about C syntax and may split the line to

void function_with_long_arguments_list(int argument, int
   another_argument);

The same thing with long “if” expressions etc.  As a result, the
programmer will have to manually edit the results of splitting.

So, as this command seems to be not very useful for code, I suppose
that providing more features (e.g., additional indentation like in your
example) is meaningless.

Moreover, this would require making the “split” command
filetype-dependent and providing additional settings in filedefs. There
is too much complexity for a little profit.

Best regards,
Eugene.