[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jul 16 17:03:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 17:38:57 +1000, Lex wrote:

>An extra Known Bug so Nick and Enciro don't beat me up
>
>Source formatting and especially very long lines not yet fixed. (well
>they fit on my widescreen monitor)

A very few general notes:

- I think it'd better if you would format your code properly while
writing. This is probably harder for you since you are not used to use
our coding style but it would be easier for us to read and review the
code and I think it would be easier than reformatting all at once when
you are finished with your branch. But it's just a suggestion.

- you really should fix the compiler warnings, I get a whole bunch when
compiling the code (see attachment). Most of them are harmless like
unused variables but the more warnings you usually have, the bigger the
danger is to overlook a real warning which you want to see

- the build settings dialog needs love. First, it needs some spacing
between the GUI elements to match the other Geany dialogs look&feel and
also to be more compliant with the Gnome HIG. But this is low priority
and can be improved later as this is GUI stuff only.

- the build settings dialog looks already very big and a bit cluttered.
Not yet sure whether we can improve this, will think about this a bit.
But at least, please don't make it even bigger. Imagine you are a new
user and just want to change the Run command, in the current dialog you
first need to figure out which field does what and where the field is
you actually want to edit.
Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool so far but maybe we can make it
even cooler. And I'm not one of those Gnome guys who somtimes like
hide/remove any option from the user. But there is also the other way
to overload the GUI with useless stuff. And so, I'm just about to find
a best way in between :).