[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 17 00:03:15 UTC 2009

2009/7/17 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>

> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 17:38:57 +1000, Lex wrote:
>
> >An extra Known Bug so Nick and Enciro don't beat me up
> >
> >Source formatting and especially very long lines not yet fixed. (well
> >they fit on my widescreen monitor)
>
> A very few general notes:
>
> - I think it'd better if you would format your code properly while
> writing. This is probably harder for you since you are not used to use
> our coding style but it would be easier for us to read and review the
> code and I think it would be easier than reformatting all at once when
> you are finished with your branch. But it's just a suggestion.

Hopefully getting better :-) build.c should now be mostly matching the
standard in Hacking I think.  If not let me know.

> - you really should fix the compiler warnings, I get a whole bunch when
> compiling the code (see attachment). Most of them are harmless like
> unused variables but the more warnings you usually have, the bigger the
> danger is to overlook a real warning which you want to see

I don't get any of these, is there an option I need to give make or
configure to make it picky???

Should be all fixed, but I can't actually check since I don't get them.
BTW the filetypes one was useful, but most build ones were just annoying
thankfully.

> - the build settings dialog needs love. First, it needs some spacing
> between the GUI elements to match the other Geany dialogs look&feel and
> also to be more compliant with the Gnome HIG. But this is low priority
> and can be improved later as this is GUI stuff only.

No problem, whats your standard spacing etc?

> - the build settings dialog looks already very big and a bit cluttered.

Agree

> Not yet sure whether we can improve this, will think about this a bit.
> But at least, please don't make it even bigger. Imagine you are a new
> user and just want to change the Run command, in the current dialog you
> first need to figure out which field does what and where the field is
> you actually want to edit.
> Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool so far but maybe we can make it
> even cooler. And I'm not one of those Gnome guys who somtimes like
> hide/remove any option from the user. But there is also the other way
> to overload the GUI with useless stuff. And so, I'm just about to find
> a best way in between :).

I agree, its now the biggest dialog in Geany, its just that there is a
certain amount of functionality to configure, any suggestions welcome, but I
can't see a sensible way of dividing it up to make it smaller.
At the moment it reflects the way the menu is laid out.  I think its
important to keep that relationship for easy use.
Dividing it vertically doesn't really make sense either, label and command
need to be together, and putting working dir on another tab or something is
really messy because then I would be skipping back and forward to see which
directories related to which commands.  Maybe we *have* to be Gnomic and
have the working dir column hidden unless the user selects to make it
visible.
As you say needs some thought.