[Geany-devel] GIO-based file monitoring revisited

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jul 15 15:58:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 00:25:33 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> now, we use the events we get from GIO only as a hint that the file
> *might* have been changed. Before, we assumed that the file actually
> has changed when we receive such an event.
> Now, after we got such an event, we mark the file as changed causing
> the tab label to be coloured orange but nothing more. Only once the
> user switches to this tab or presses a key/mouse button if the tab is
> active, then we check the file's on-disk status using stat() to verify
> whether it needs to be reloaded or resaved.

BTW, although I don't have GIO, this seems to improve the use case for
detecting changed documents when running:

svn diff >out.diff && geany out.diff

Before I would sometimes get asked twice whether to reload each time I
executed that line. Now only once :)

Regards,
Nick

P.S. Why not just use geanyvc? Because I like the diff tags in the
sidebar.