[Geany-devel] Consideration of using other repos like github

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jan 15 16:26:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:41:01 +0100, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 01:23:31 +0800
>"Kovich Ian" <kovich.ian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For me, I would like to have some little change and save it back to
>> the repo.
>>
>> If the repo have a distributed source maintain function, I think
>> that the mainstream code maintainer would be easier to do the code
>> merge.
>
>I'm not sure whether this is much useful for a general purpose. I'm
>afraid the overhead for using such a tool might become much bigger then
>the outcome.
>
>Right now there are a couple of ways for doing something like this,
>depending on kind of changes:
>
>As we already did in past, for bigger changes I see a chance to set up
>an account on SF and creating a new branch inside the normal Geany
>subversion were the feature is developed. But this is hardly depending
>on the feature/kind of changes of course.
>
>Another more locally way is to get a copy of git mirror available at
>http://git.geany.org/ and create a local branch. Once the feature is
>ready to publish, Enrico, Nick or me could pull from that branch and

No, just send in a patch which is the easiest way for all involved
people. I won't pull any code from anyone's private repository, sorry.

>A third way I'm thinking of are the (devel) mailing list as well as the
>patch tracker at sourceforge.net we could use for exchange code
>snippets.

The patch tracker at Sourceforge is not enabled and won't be. I think
the mailing list is a pretty good place to send and discuss patches.
It worked well in the past, why changing that?