[Geany-devel] intltool usage question

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Aug 29 11:02:35 UTC 2009

2009/8/29 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:16:11 +1000, Lex wrote:
>
>>Sorry guys, don't use it as is, the Python config parser removes
>>comments from the config file, not what we want, back to the drawing
>>board.
>
> Before you spend too much time on this:
> do we really need this?
> do we really want this?

Well you know at the moment, no no, but the feature of labels adjusted
by config file is only just available, I'm guessing, but I think that
its use will grow over time.
Of course I could be wrong, I have been in the past :-)

So maybe we could forget it until the demand was there, but with no
guarantees of time availability or interest in fixing it at that time.

> I'm still not too happy about this as it adds some overhead for a
> rather small effort.
>
> I think Nick suggested this earlier:
>
> why don't we simply put the defaul labels somewhere into src/build.c so
> that intltool grabs them as usual. And then when reading the labels
> from the config file, we simply pass them through gettext() to get them
> translated automatically. If I don't miss anything obvious, this should
> have the same result but without the need for an external script.
> The only drawback with this effort is that we have the English labels
> itself twice (one in src/build.c, one in the config file) but since
> they probably won't change much at all it might be not such a big issue.

That looks kinda like a maintenance nightmare keeping the strings in
the code in line with the labels in config files, please don't go
there for your own sakes ;-)