[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable build beta in trunk

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Aug 27 00:54:16 UTC 2009

2009/8/27 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:05:23 +0200, Enrico wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:43:52 +0100, Nick wrote:

>>>I've been using the new build code today, I like the extra
>>>configurability, thanks Lex (and Thomas) :)
>>>
>>>I noticed some things though:
>>>
>>>1. Make keybindings don't work properly. The Make All keybinding seems
>>>to run the Compile command (e.g. for C source files). The Make Object
>>>keybinding doesn't do anything at all.
>>>
>>>2. I think the current working directory should be used by default for
>>>Make Object, not the project directory - presumably that doesn't work
>>>even for a non-recursive makefile as the relative path isn't there. (I
>>>mean for source files in a subdirectory from the project base path).
>>>This would preserve pre-merge behaviour.
>>
>>Additionally, the Run command behaviour has changed:
>>it uses something different as working directory as before. In my
>>"geany" project, I set
>>_build_/default/geany -v -c ...
>>as Run command and this was executed in the project's base directory
>>before, now I get a file not found error, so it is obviously using
>>something different. After I set %p in the build settings as working
>>directory it worked, but for consistency with the pre-merge behaviour,
>>this should be default (for projects).
>
> One more thing, sorry.
> I remember we talked about removing the second Run command which was
> special for LaTeX. Then you added the second Run command generally
> (which I actually do like since today because I had an use case
> for :D). But we lost the keybinding for the second Run command anyway.
> Was this a mistake or on purpose?
>
> It might be a missed something, if so, don't beat too much...:).

No beatings necessary,
The extra execute menu item is no longer a known command, its an
variable command.
Only the known commands have keybindings for now.

This is because so much of the keybindings code depends on the fact
that it knows all the actions that keys can be bound to and their
names. So I could not see a simple way of handling variable menu items
in the keybinding dialog and on load/save.

Any suggestions how to handle the variable menu items welcome because
all the variable build commands should be able to be bound to keys.
Remember the number of variable items is itself variable.