[Geany-devel] Build-system merge

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Aug 25 11:45:12 UTC 2009

2009/8/25 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:19:49 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Sorry for the delay. I've made the changes I wanted before merging. I
>> > just tried the merge and it seemed to go OK except there were some
>> > conflicts - so actually if you don't mind doing it, please go ahead.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure why there are conflicts.
>> >

>> I did it exactly as per the recipe I mentioned in a previous email.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
>> The only conflicts I got merging trunk to build-system were
>> plugindata.h where you had bumped the api/abi versions, so I took the
>> higher versions and changelog which as I explained previously always
>> conflicts if there are changes in both trunk and branch since all
>> additions are at the end and so overlap line numbers.
>
> No, I got some source files with many conflicts also:
> [nmt at localhost geany-build-system]$ svn st |egrep '^C'
> C      src/build.c
> C      src/keybindings.c
> C      src/plugindata.h
> C      src/filetypes.h
> C      doc/images/pref_dialog_edit_completions.png
> C      doc/images/pref_dialog_toolbar.png
> C      doc/geany.html

I got a long lecture on everything I *never* wanted to know about SVN
the other day, to sum it up, merges can be very sensitive to the
condition of the URLs being merged and the working directory, Kind of
makes sense, merge is a diff and apply process and if you make a diff
against one thing and apply it to something different its bound to get
confused. :-)  Problem is its hard to make sure everything is clean so
I just squandered disk space on extra checkouts.

> The src/ conflicts were quite a lot, and each one should have just
> taken the branch version instead of conflicting AFAICT.

Heh heh, thats what I thought when merging trunk to branch the first
time and I wiped out Enrico's toolbar changes, oops!!

>> ChangeLog probably needs to be checked that it has everything.  It
>> currently is in the order of merges between branch and trunk, I'm not
>> sure if it should be re-sorted to date order, easier to find changes
>> but loses the merge history.?
>
> No, the trunk ChangeLog is for trunk only. There should be one entry
> describing all the changes in the merge, dropping any trivial
> commit messages.

Thats a pity I didn't know that before, I could have dropped the
branch stuff while it was easy to find.  I'm afraid I'm not sure how
to separate it now?