[Geany-devel] Build-system merge

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Aug 25 11:10:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:19:49 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Sorry for the delay. I've made the changes I wanted before merging. I
> > just tried the merge and it seemed to go OK except there were some
> > conflicts - so actually if you don't mind doing it, please go ahead.
> >
> > I'm not sure why there are conflicts.
> >

> I did it exactly as per the recipe I mentioned in a previous email.

OK, thanks.

> The only conflicts I got merging trunk to build-system were
> plugindata.h where you had bumped the api/abi versions, so I took the
> higher versions and changelog which as I explained previously always
> conflicts if there are changes in both trunk and branch since all
> additions are at the end and so overlap line numbers.

No, I got some source files with many conflicts also:
[nmt at localhost geany-build-system]$ svn st |egrep '^C'
C      src/build.c
C      src/keybindings.c
C      src/plugindata.h
C      src/filetypes.h
C      doc/images/pref_dialog_edit_completions.png
C      doc/images/pref_dialog_toolbar.png
C      doc/geany.html

The src/ conflicts were quite a lot, and each one should have just
taken the branch version instead of conflicting AFAICT.

> ChangeLog probably needs to be checked that it has everything.  It
> currently is in the order of merges between branch and trunk, I'm not
> sure if it should be re-sorted to date order, easier to find changes
> but loses the merge history.?

No, the trunk ChangeLog is for trunk only. There should be one entry
describing all the changes in the merge, dropping any trivial
commit messages.

> Merge back to trunk worked ok, no conflicts though it took a couple of
> tries because sourceforge kept dropping the SSL link.

Yes, that's annoying.

Regards,
Nick