[Geany-devel] Build-system merge

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Aug 20 12:47:45 UTC 2009

More info below

2009/8/20 Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/20 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>:
>> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:32:17 +1000
>> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I am sure you know all this but I have been told that SVN is
>>> *very* picky about merge and re-integrate.
>>>
>>> Your branch working directory should be a *clean* checkout of the
>>> branch, merge with trunk and re-commit to the branch, don't change
>>> anything other than fixing the conflicts.
>>>
>>> Your trunk working directory should be a clean checkout and then merge
>>> --reintegrate the branch.  There *shouldn't* be any conflicts here.
>>> Then commit.
>>
>> Don't know what --reintegrate is. What SVN version do you have? I have
>> 1.4.4.
>
> Gee looks like my auto updater is working, I have 1.6.3 dated 15 July 09 :-)
>
> --reintegrate is a svn 1.5 option

Version 1.5 stores a record of the previously merged revisions in the
branch so that you don't need to use the full syntax, but you do need
to tell it that you are merging the other way, hence --reintegrate

I think using a 1.4 client and a 1.5 server means that it forgets the
merge history and just makes one big change back into the trunk with
everything that is different in the branch.