[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Aug 17 02:55:27 UTC 2009

>> It may not be the users build script, for example, have you checked
>> fully what Geany's make does??? I havn't even looked at it :-)
>>

> For those we can make sure it doesn't harm to kill those. Otherwise I
> consider this as an actual bug in Geany.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand your comment, I'm sure you are
not saying its a bug in Geany if a users build script behaves badly??

>> So we can't just blame the user :-(  we have to ensure that things
>> programmed into Geany can rarely cause damage.
>>

> We can. Running an external script has nothing to do with "programmed into
> Geany", it just starts it (it even lets a shell start it).

Agreed thats why I suggest you put the kill build function in an
external script that Geany runs, then you can use it but it isn't
available by default to cause trouble for other users.
Subject to comment by Enrico et al there is no reason that such a
script couldn't be distributed with Geany with instructions how to
configure it, but IMO it should not be part of the default build.

> That's like not implementing system calls in a operating system. Just
> because one can write harmful software using system calls?

Yeah but system calls arn't available at user level.