[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Aug 17 02:38:22 UTC 2009

2009/8/17 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:51:39 +1000, Lex wrote:

>>> Cool, thanks for this list.
>>
>>Note that this is only for 0.17, I'm not sure how many more 0.18 will
>>add.
>>
>>> However, I fail to make any sense of the third column. Could you give
>>> some hint about what exactly "popup-edit", "popup-select" and the
>>> others mean? Thanks.
>>>

>>My apologies, I was trying to suggest adding a new submenu of either
>
> No need to apologise. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough, anyway, now
> it's pretty clear (and obvious :).
>

>>popup-edit means new edit submenu of right click popup
>>popup-indent means new indent submenu of right click popup
>>popup-goto means a new goto submenu of right click  popup
>>edit-select means a new select submenu of the main edit menu
>>edit-goto means a new goto submenu of the main edit menu
>>
>>Where more than one is listed on the same line I am suggesting putting
>>the item in both.
>
> Ok. But to be honest I really don't want to add *anything* more to the
> right click popup menu. It's already very big. When considering the
> Gnome HIG, it's way too big. But I think in our case that's ok as long
> as we don't fill the menu even more.
>
> For the Edit menu in the file menu, I think we could add a new submenu
> like "More Actions" or something which then lists the actions you
> mentioned maybe in more sub menus sorted by categories (as you did
> above). This way we would not bloat the existing menus really and still
> gain the benefit of having menu items for most keybindings.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, my only worries are not to bloat
> the menus too much.

Totally agree with all you said.

Maybe submenus of the popup for the inserts and the finds could help shrink it.

To be honest I don't use the popup much, I use keybindings mostly so I
am probably not best qualified to say whats common use and whats not &
can go to a submenu.

>>> How do you mean that? Do you want to connect to the activate signal
>>> of each single menu item? Maybe this can be avoided by connecting to
>>> the "button-press-event" or maybe better "button-release-event" of
>>> the main window ('main_widgets.window') and inside the handler
>>> determine which widget actually was activated. Not completely sure
>>> whether this will work but I think so. This way you don't need to
>>> modify any or at least not much code in Geany itself. Just an idea.
>>
>>I thought about just recording keypresses, thats simple, but means the
>>user can only record things that have keypress shortcuts and they have
>>to use the keypress.
>>
>>I don't think that it is necessary to explicitly connect to each
>>widget's activate, I havn't tried it yet, but
>>g_signal_add_emission_hook claims to add one handler to catch all
>
> Ah cool. I didn't know about it. That'd be definitely much cooler than
> connecting to each widget's activate signal :).
>

>>Does menu->edit->delete do any thing different to pressing the delete
>>key?  It isn't in the keybinding menu.
>
> Yes.
>

> Sorry for not going into detail with the rest of your mail. I'm very
> limited in time currently and already spent most of the day with the
> release.

Thanks for your efforts so far, I really didn't expect an answer until
after the release :-)  and thanks for the release.