[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Aug 16 21:01:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:51:39 +1000, Lex wrote:

>2009/8/16 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:59:27 +1000, Lex wrote:
>>

>>>but I think the following should make it into a menu (actually a
>>>submenu, since I don't think they are commonly used enough to go in a
>>>top level menu) and I have suggested which new submenu to put them
>>>in.
>>>
>>>Ctrl-K          delete current line       popup-edit
>>>Ctrl-T          transpose current line    popup-edit
>>>Ctrl-Shift-X    cut line                  popup-edit
>>>Ctrl-Shift-C    copy line                 popup-edit
>>>Alt-Shift-W     select word               edit-select and
>>>popup-select Alt-Shift-P     select para               edit-select
>>>and popup-select Alt-Shift-L     select line
>>>edit-select and popup-select insert alt whitspace      popup-edit
>>>               indent space              popup-indent
>>>               undent space              popup-indent
>>>Ctrl-B          matching brace            edit-goto  popup-goto
>>>Ctrl-M          toggle marker             edit-goto  popup-goto
>>>Ctrl-.          next marker                  "          "
>>>Ctrl-,          prev marker                  "          "
>>
>> Cool, thanks for this list.
>
>Note that this is only for 0.17, I'm not sure how many more 0.18 will
>add.
>
>> However, I fail to make any sense of the third column. Could you give
>> some hint about what exactly "popup-edit", "popup-select" and the
>> others mean? Thanks.
>>

>My apologies, I was trying to suggest adding a new submenu of either

No need to apologise. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough, anyway, now
it's pretty clear (and obvious :).

>popup-edit means new edit submenu of right click popup
>popup-indent means new indent submenu of right click popup
>popup-goto means a new goto submenu of right click  popup
>edit-select means a new select submenu of the main edit menu
>edit-goto means a new goto submenu of the main edit menu
>
>Where more than one is listed on the same line I am suggesting putting
>the item in both.

Ok. But to be honest I really don't want to add *anything* more to the
right click popup menu. It's already very big. When considering the
Gnome HIG, it's way too big. But I think in our case that's ok as long
as we don't fill the menu even more.

For the Edit menu in the file menu, I think we could add a new submenu
like "More Actions" or something which then lists the actions you
mentioned maybe in more sub menus sorted by categories (as you did
above). This way we would not bloat the existing menus really and still
gain the benefit of having menu items for most keybindings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, my only worries are not to bloat
the menus too much.

>>>function) and capturing menu activations by a signal emission hook on
>>>the activate signal.
>>
>> How do you mean that? Do you want to connect to the activate signal
>> of each single menu item? Maybe this can be avoided by connecting to
>> the "button-press-event" or maybe better "button-release-event" of
>> the main window ('main_widgets.window') and inside the handler
>> determine which widget actually was activated. Not completely sure
>> whether this will work but I think so. This way you don't need to
>> modify any or at least not much code in Geany itself. Just an idea.
>
>I thought about just recording keypresses, thats simple, but means the
>user can only record things that have keypress shortcuts and they have
>to use the keypress.
>
>I don't think that it is necessary to explicitly connect to each
>widget's activate, I havn't tried it yet, but
>g_signal_add_emission_hook claims to add one handler to catch all

Ah cool. I didn't know about it. That'd be definitely much cooler than
connecting to each widget's activate signal :).

>Does menu->edit->delete do any thing different to pressing the delete
>key?  It isn't in the keybinding menu.

Yes.

Sorry for not going into detail with the rest of your mail. I'm very
limited in time currently and already spent most of the day with the
release.