[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 16 05:00:18 UTC 2009

Hi Thomas,

Good to hear that there are no major problems.

I can see that you may want to kill a long build that you started by
accident or when you realise you forgot to do something first.  I've
done that more than once ;-)

In Geany execute changes to stop while running, but build doesn't.

The difference is because they are run in different ways, execute runs
in a terminal (either external or VTE) but build commands are run
directly so that no terminal window pops up and so that the output can
be captured for parsing for errors.
Due to problems on windows, builds have to be run synchronously on
windows, ie the whole of Geany freezes while the build runs (why? I
don't understand exactly, maybe Enrico can explain it).
That means that cancelling a windows build can't be done from Geany anyway.

Whilst Linux builds are still asynchronous only one is allowed at a
time so that output isn't mixed up in the error parser.  So all build
commands are set insensitive until completion.  To have one menu item
still enabled and to have it change to stop is going to be quite a bit
of fiddling unless it is always a fixed menu item or a toolbar button.

But as a general action I would be worried about killing a build anyway.

Geany only knows about the parent process, the top level make, not any
children that make forked to process subdirectories, or because -j was
used, and they won't get killed (they migrate to be children of init).
 The overall impact is not well defined, but killing a top level make
may leave most of the build still running.   Now setting the build
menu items sensitive and so enabling another build is risky.

And the results of builders other than make is even less well defined.

I think we need to consider this a bit more first to find a safe
general solution.

In the interim why don't you configure an extra execute command to run
the "killall -9 make".  It can then run asynchronously whilst the
build is running.