[Geany-devel] interactive typeahead seach for the sidebar

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Aug 15 19:59:30 UTC 2009

Am Samstag, den 15.08.2009, 21:19 +0200 schrieb Thomas Martitz:
> So, I'm always having multiple dozens of files open, some of which
> define even more symbols.
>
> At that point I began to really miss the search you can do in the file
> open/save dialog (while typing search, the gtk docs say interactive or
> typeahead search).
>
> I looked at it and got it sort of working (see
> http://www.alice-dsl.net/simonemartitz/geany.png), however I ran into
> some problems.
>
> a) switching focus to the editor widget. When using the keyboard to do
> the search, the first match will be selected. As of now, selecting
> something in the list automagically switches the focus to the editor.
> That is of course unwanted while you're searching as it will stop and
> break the search basically upon entering the first character. In a work
> around, I disabled this switching if the selection happened by using the
> keyboard. This works well for the symbol list, but not at all for the
> open file list (which still changes the focus).
>
> b) opening files doesn't bring it in front anymore. I removed the
> "changed" signal for the open file list as it's incompatible with
> searching. but that broke opening files as the mechanism to bring the
> open file up relies on the sidebar here. For this, I thought the
> "bringing the new doc up" code could be moved to the opening document
> code (document.c), and the sidebar handler just does a call
> document_open_file(). Would that work?
>

> So, I basically want to discuss about a) if this feature is wanted and
> b) about the two problems that showed up.
For a): Yes! I think I would really love this feature too!

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at gmail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D