[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Aug 13 21:41:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:35:52 +0100, Nick wrote:

>> > We have. Probably we could/should add some matching menu items,
>> > and IIUC use the relevant widget for the focus commands. There are
>> > some special cases though where some keybindings take precedence,
>> > so I don't think we can simplify the code that much.
>>
>> Adding menu items is worth while from a user point of view even if it
>> doesn't improve the code.
>>
>> I for one am unlikely to find functionality that is *only* available
>> from keybindings since that would require reading and remembering the
>> manual (unlikely ;-) or reading the keybindings (which is also
>> unlikely).  Whereas searching the menus has a long and honourable?
>> tradition.
>
>I agree.

Not sure whether I do.
In general, you are right. "Hiding" functionality only in keybindings
is not the best way. But OTOH adding tons of new menu items just to
have them is also not the smartest way, I think.
IIRC one of the reasons not adding menu items for each single possible
keybinding was to not clutter and bloat the menus too much, And IMO
this is still true and still important.