[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Aug 13 16:35:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:32:48 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I hope that you havn't violated the "good GUI guidelines" by having
> >> functionality that is only available via keybindings and not by menu
> >> ;-)
> >
> > We have. Probably we could/should add some matching menu items, and IIUC
> > use the relevant widget for the focus commands. There are some special
> > cases though where some keybindings take precedence, so I don't think we
> > can simplify the code that much.
>
> Adding menu items is worth while from a user point of view even if it
> doesn't improve the code.
>
> I for one am unlikely to find functionality that is *only* available
> from keybindings since that would require reading and remembering the
> manual (unlikely ;-) or reading the keybindings (which is also
> unlikely).  Whereas searching the menus has a long and honourable?
> tradition.

I agree.

> >> menu accelerator labels are not being updated until Geany is restarted
> >> which could be confusing.
> >
> > At the least, we could use gtk_widget_remove_accelerator ;-)
>
> Yeah, getting the user visible things fixed is more important, but
> after the binding is changed you probably need to run
> gtk_widget_add_accelerator as well ;-)  (it isn't at the moment)

That's what I meant ;-)

> Note remove/add accel works on stock menu items too (just tried it) so
> my previous comment that they should not be available for change is
> revoked.
> It may not be advisable to change them but I don't support preventing
> things that are inadvisable so long as they don't damage anything.

I've no objection to this, but I probably won't implement overriding
stock accelerators myself.

Regards,
Nick