[Geany-devel] Calltip and autocomplete interaction

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Aug 8 00:17:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

I agree, I'm not sure its a big problem, but then again if the calltip
was covering something I needed to read whilst typing the parameter
I'd be annoyed so..

I suggest that the behavior from the user point of view should follow
a simple state machine:

Three states, not displayed, displayed, hidden

State not displayed

on ( show calltip and go to state displayed
on calltip keybinding show calltip go to state displayed

State displayed

on autocomplete replace calltip with autocomplete
on autocomplete removed (by acceptance or dismissal or mismatch) show calltip
on ) hide calltip and go to state not displayed
on user dismissal of calltip (down arrow or esc) hide calltip and go
to state hidden

State hidden

on autocomplete show autocomplete
on autocomplete removed do not show calltip
on ) go to state not displayed
on show calltip keybinding show calltip go to state displayed

What this is doing is that if the user dismisses the calltip it stays
dismissed until the user asks for it again, but if non-user action
removes the calltip (like Geany displaying autocomplete) then it is
re-displayed as soon as possible.

I havn't had time to look at how different this is to the current code.