[Geany-devel] About disabling GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Oct 15 16:30:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:07:08 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:32:24 +0200
>Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> >gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text() was only added in GTK+ 2.12, we still
>> >support 2.6 (see HACKING). Maybe that function could be mimiced for
>> >GTK < 2.12 with something like ui_widget_set_tooltip_text().
>>
>> Why? GTK 2.12+ also supports the old, deprecated tooltips API. What
>> is the advantage in adding more code, more #ifdefs just to get the
>> same behaviour?
>
>So that users with GTK >= 2.12 don't build with the deprecated tooltip
>function we currently use.
>
>I don't see any harm in switching the non-Glade code to use
>ui_widget_set_tooltip_text(), as this is actually neater as the caller
>doesn't need to get the GtkTooltips object.

But it doesn't hurt to build the old API and AFAIK there is no
noticeable (dis)advantage. The only change is more code, ok and a
little nicer code for the existing non-Glade tooltips.
If you really want, do it. It's probably not that worse as I told but
still not strictly necessary.

>> I think the "real" solution to this topic would be to increase the
>> minimum GTK requirement and so drop old API.
>> But I would like to keep the minimum requirements as low as possible
>> as long it wouldn't cause other problems like breakge of anything.
>> But this won't happen until GTK 3.2 (even GTK 3.0 will be compatible
>> with 2.x series). And GTK 3.0 is not very near, 2.16 is planned for
>> September 2009, AFAIK.
>
>Well, we can still use some of the work Columban's done so far IMO.

As I told, the tagmanager patch is cool.

About the g_strcasecmp() problem:
I don't think the right solution is to copy the old, broken code from
GLib into Geany. As the docs mention, there is a reason why this
function is deprecated and should not used.
IMO we should rewrite the code which uses this function with the
alternative functions mentioned in the docs.

gtk_widget_ref() vs g_object_ref() is ok, obviously. These are from
copy&paste code from Glade :).