[Geany-devel] About disabling GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Oct 15 16:07:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:32:24 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text() was only added in GTK+ 2.12, we still
> >support 2.6 (see HACKING). Maybe that function could be mimiced for
> >GTK < 2.12 with something like ui_widget_set_tooltip_text().
>
> Why? GTK 2.12+ also supports the old, deprecated tooltips API. What is
> the advantage in adding more code, more #ifdefs just to get the same
> behaviour?

So that users with GTK >= 2.12 don't build with the deprecated tooltip
function we currently use.

I don't see any harm in switching the non-Glade code to use
ui_widget_set_tooltip_text(), as this is actually neater as the caller
doesn't need to get the GtkTooltips object.

> I think the "real" solution to this topic would be to increase the
> minimum GTK requirement and so drop old API.
> But I would like to keep the minimum requirements as low as possible
> as long it wouldn't cause other problems like breakge of anything. But
> this won't happen until GTK 3.2 (even GTK 3.0 will be compatible with
> 2.x series). And GTK 3.0 is not very near, 2.16 is planned for
> September 2009, AFAIK.

Well, we can still use some of the work Columban's done so far IMO.

Regards,
Nick