[Geany-devel] Vala for GeanyObject? (Re: About disabling GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Oct 15 16:03:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:32:24 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >(I really don't like GObject code in C, maybe we could use Vala for
> >GeanyObject??)
>
> I really don't like using anything other than C to write C (except for
> Glade :D).
> Seriously, before I state that I don't like Vala, Nick, could you give
> some details about it?
> Just an obvious disadvantage: vala would cause another build
> dependency (for developers, in any case for me :D). But we all
> have 'glib-genmarshal' already installed.

Well, I haven't had time to investigate using Vala yet, but:

* Using Vala for GeanyObject would mean we wouldn't need to touch the
geanyobject.[hc] files, which are ugly to maintain. It supports
GObject signals in the language AFAIR.

* Developers would only need to install Vala if they were going to add
a GeanyObject signal, an uncommon occurrence. The geanyobject.[hc]
files can stay in SVN.

But as I said, I don't know if it would work yet.

Regards,
Nick