[Geany-devel] Vala for GeanyObject? (Re: About disabling GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Oct 15 16:35:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:03:08 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:32:24 +0200
>Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> >(I really don't like GObject code in C, maybe we could use Vala for
>> >GeanyObject??)
>>
>> I really don't like using anything other than C to write C (except
>> for Glade :D).
>> Seriously, before I state that I don't like Vala, Nick, could you
>> give some details about it?
>> Just an obvious disadvantage: vala would cause another build
>> dependency (for developers, in any case for me :D). But we all
>> have 'glib-genmarshal' already installed.
>
>Well, I haven't had time to investigate using Vala yet, but:
>
>* Using Vala for GeanyObject would mean we wouldn't need to touch the
>geanyobject.[hc] files, which are ugly to maintain. It supports
>GObject signals in the language AFAIR.

I don't think these files are ugly to maintain. The GObject system is
pretty straightforward once you got familiar with it.
Yes, it's not "real" OOP but it's ok for C and without it we couldn't
use GTK at all :).

>* Developers would only need to install Vala if they were going to add
>a GeanyObject signal, an uncommon occurrence. The geanyobject.[hc]
>files can stay in SVN.

Yes, I know this but this still affects me at some point :).
I just don't like to install another compiler, learn another language
and use it to generate code we could write by hand (or let generate by
glib-genmarschal).
OTOH, if it's easy to use and really has some advantages over
glib-genmarschal, I'm willing to change my opinion :).