[Geany-devel] Generating an API functions wrapper

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Nov 27 18:40:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:35:39 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:20:51 +0000
>Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> As using pointers to call plugin API functions is a bit ugly, I've
>> been planning on writing a wrapper shared library. But perhaps that
>> is unnecessary, perhaps macros would do instead:
>>
>> #define plugin_add_toolbar_item \
>>         p_plugin->add_toolbar_item
>>
>> Are there any problems with this approach?
>>
>> The attached script genapi.py currently does this for all API
>
>I know that normally we should avoid macros, but I think for function
>names this should be OK, I can't think of any good reason why there
>would be name conflicts.
>
>geanyfunctions.h would have to be included after anything like
>utils.h. But I think we should add a single header include for plugins,
>so this would ensure headers were included in the right order. A single
>header include is probably good anyway in case we want to move
>declarations or rename any source files.
>
>I'd like to add this to SVN, maybe somehow deprecating pluginmacros.h,
>but not removing it for a while. In future, genapi.py could add the
>geanyfunctions-> prefix and we could remove pluginmacros.h.

I'm fine with this, go ahead.
It'd be much better to have plugin_add_toolbar_item than
p_plugin->add_toolbar_item even though we will get this by macros :).

It makes the code more readable, more easy to write and then the
function names match with the API docs.