[Geany-devel] YAML syntax highlighting support

Walery Studennikov despairr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 24 04:07:43 UTC 2008

2008/11/23 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:30:12 +0400, "Walery Studennikov"
> <despairr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>
>>I wish to add syntax highlighting support for YAML
>>and I've performed some effort in this area.
>>Here is the patch with my try.
>>But highlighting still doesn't work.
>>What have I missed? Please, help ;)
>
> See the attached patch for a more complete version. You missed basic
> changes in src/highlighting.c.
>
> Please note that the attached patch is made from GIT, so you need to
> apply it with:
> patch -p1 < /path/to/geany_yaml_v2.patch

Thank you.
I've made the final version of the patch -- it is attached.

> Should we add YAML to Geany?
> I'm not sure whether it is widely used and so whether it's reasonable
> to add yet another filetype for it.

I'm working in web-programming world, where text-based serialization formats
are used widely.

And the three pillars of base text formats are: XML, JSON and YAML.
The meaning and significance of last two formats are growing.

If we support XML in geany, why we do not support other two of those
pillars: JSON and YAML? ;)
JSON is mostly: "machine-writeable", but YAML files are very often
"human-writeable" and it is important to have convenient editor for
them.

And I'm sure thet geany is convenient (and should be convenient) not
only for "low-level" languages and "low-level" applications, but also
for scripting languages and scripting languages text-based world. For
example I use geany for working with large Perl-based project with
heavy usage of JSON and YAML.

--
Walery Studennikov
http://www.reg.ru/