[Geany-devel] Search in files & encodings

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Nov 16 15:16:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:12:17 +0100, Colomban Wendling
<ban-ubuntu at club-internet.fr> wrote:

>Enrico Tröger a écrit :
>> But there are a few problems with that:
>> we run 'grep [options] search text' in the chosen directory. So, we
>> run one command for all files in this directory (and maybe
>> subdirectories). So we need one search text for all files.
>> Additionally, to search every file with its own encoding would mean
>> to read every file before to detect its encoding. So, we would read
>> the file, detect its encoding and then search it with grep. Bah.
>> Alternatively, to be more effective it'd be better to directly search
>> the file after opened it to detect the encoding. But this would
>> rewriting almost all of the current code.
>>
>Hum, yes, seen this way it seems hard to implement. Bah, 'was just an
>idea.

Yeah, great anyway.
The whole encoding problem is nasty. Things could be so easy if anyone
could use UTF-8 but we are probably still years away from this case.