[Geany-devel] Search in files & encodings

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Nov 13 16:32:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:18:50 +0400, "Walery Studennikov"
<despairr at gmail.com> wrote:


>> Just to clarify: you are talking about wrongly displayed search
>> results in the messages window at the bottom when searching in files
>> with a non-UTF-8 encoding?
>No. Just nothing found (bacause we searching in wrong encoding).

Oh, ok. Now that you say it, it's obvious. We pass always UTF-8 text to
'grep' but this doesn't match when the file is encoded in any other
encoding (and you are using non-Ascii characters).

I added some code in SVN r3221 to provide an encoding list in the Find
in Files dialog.
The set encoding is used to convert the entered search text into and to
display the search results.
Actually, the entered search text can be in UTF-8 or in the specified
encoding though I only tested it with UTF-8 text since this is the most
common case (everything you select or copy from within Geany is UTF-8,
always even the file encoding is something else).

Any feedback is welcome.


Get my GPG key from http://www.uvena.de/pub.asc
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.geany.org/pipermail/devel/attachments/20081113/66104044/attachment.pgp>

More information about the Devel mailing list