[Geany-devel] Committed Project Build Commands to build-system branch

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 10 16:44:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:00:09 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:02:48 +1100
>"Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > No problem, it is more important that a project chooses and sticks
>> > to a
>> style than what the style actually is.  On the other hand formatting
>> is the sort of rote activity that I believe computers should do, not
>> people.  On that basis my work experience student now knows much more
>> than she ever wanted to about C code formatters.  We have found one,
>> 'uncrustify' that seems to do what we want without doing too much
>> extra, I have committed a version of build.c run through it for you
>> to have a look at.  uncrustify is very flexible (about 250-300
>> options) and it seems to be able to enforce all the requirements of
>> HACKING. The only extra things that I can't stop it doing are:
>> - positioning the alignment of variable definitions and parameters
>> slightly different to the originals (still aligns and hangs * though)
>> - aligning function call continuations with the open parens, I think
>> it is ok, see what you think.  It can cause the call to need more
>> wrapping though.
>>
>> The wrapping of long lines is a little simplistic for long function
>> calls that are already manually wrapped, needs a bit of a helping
>> hand but not very often.
>
>Thanks, but I don't like the existing code being reformatted with
>different alignment really. What are the options you used?

Additionally, I can't really understand your(Lex) troubles with the
indentation at all. It's pretty simple: we use tabs with a tab width of
4 characters. This is IMO the most simplest form of indentation at all.
I never had the need of using an external code formatter for this type
(for writing new code).