[Geany-devel] Geany-plugin-svn: Prefix with plugin name

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jun 23 15:18:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:06:05 -0000 (UTC), "Frank Lanitz"
<frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> On Fri, June 20, 2008 7:05 pm, Yura Siamashka wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:58:20 -0000 (UTC)
> > "Frank Lanitz" <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> I'm using git-svn instead of svn for working with the geany-plugin
> >> repository. It combines the advantages of git (branching, fast,
> >> local copy
> >> of complete history) with the given svn repository.
> >> Because of this it feels like a normal git repository, but with the
> >> chance
> >> to commit to the central svn repository.
> >
> > I work this way too. ;-)
> >
> > But no prefix is really needed this way too. You can always clone
> > each plugin independently:
> >
> > git-svn clone https://<repo path>/trunk/<your plugin>
> >
> > and have clean history tree for every plugin.
>
> That is true. I'm using this already for combnining the old version
> history that was on git and the svn repo for it. A bad thing on that
> is, that I don't have to svn branches and svn tags inside the
> repository.

Tags are mainly intended for creating snapshots
of certain revisions, e.g. when making a release. This should be a
rather seldom used task, so I guess it's reasonable to do it using
Subversion.
Regarding branching:
Don't get me wrong but as you told me before, you are very little on
spare time, your plugins currently don't compile because of recent API
changes and you still didn't fix them. This is no problem at all but
when you are requesting a layout change to be able to create/use
branches more easy using GIT, I assume you heavily want to actively
work on the code...sounds inconsistent to me:
you don't have the time to do a 3-minutes fix while you want branching
your code for heavy development?