[Geany-devel] API: headers / GeanyEditor / gint idx

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 10 16:01:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:51:59 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:09:41 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:10:30 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> > <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > 1. Make header names consistent - I've used ui_utils.h,
> > > plugin-symbols.c - probably they should just be uiutils.h,
> > > pluginsymbols.c.
> >
> > I'm not sure. We could rename the plugin-symbols.c but do we need to
> > rename ui_utils.h? I personally like the underscore because it is
> > more readable than without even if it is a little harder to type.
>
> OK, so what should be the default naming style - we already have
> sciwrappers.h and recently documentprivate.h - should these also have
> underscores? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Honestly, I don't care much. Yes, it would be nicer if they were all
named using a unique scheme. But this causes renaming, changing files
where the file names are used, may result in odd left-overs or other
potential problems which aren't really necessary (ok, probably it's
not that much work, but it is also not really a big problem at all). If
you feel really uncomfortable with that, feel free to change it. If
not, I don't care.

> > > 3. The document functions could take/return a GeanyDocument
> > > pointer instead of a document index, which would avoid the use of:
> > > documents[idx]->
> > > being repeated all over the code base when doc-> is much neater.
> > > We would also need to update functions like msgwin_msg_add which
> > > take a idx parameter (this seems to be the only one at first
> > > glance).
> > >
> > > I forgot to say, it would also mean much neater checks for an
> > > invalid document, just doc != NULL instead of DOC_IDX_VALID(idx)
> > > in most cases after using p_document->get_current().
> >
> > Yeah, that's the killer argument ;-). I like the idea even if it is
> > a lot of work.
> >
> > > This could be quite a big change, so it could be brought in
> > > gradually by having an additional p_documents field in
> > > GeanyFunctions, using a documents_ prefix for the new functions
> > > instead of document_. Once the changes are complete we could
> > > deprecate the old ones.
> >
> > Don't know if it is worth. I don't mind if the SVN version is broken
> > for the one or another day. It's a development version and users
> > should expect it to be broken.
>
> I think it can be done without breaking things - my first goal is to
> update the plugin API, so the core would be unaffected at first. I'll
> add a private Document::index field and then wrap the adapted document
> functions (which would use documents_) with the old document_
> functions and idx usage. Then I'll update the core to use the new
> functions.

Ok, cool,

> I'd thought maybe we could rename document.[hc] documents.[hc] - or
> would you prefer not to? I'm not sure but it might be more consistent
> with filetypes.c, using the plural rather than singular.

I remember I chose the singular 'document' (long time ago :D) based on
the content this file should have: the document struct to represent an
open document in Geany and related functions which work on one
document 'object'. This were never really consistent done but mostly.
And except for a few functions like document_close_all or
document_open_files, this still applies, IMO. So, I would rather keep
it as it is.