[Geany-Users] beginner

james bernard seamusbernard at xxxxx
Wed Sep 3 19:36:10 UTC 2014

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to help me.
I have carried out the steps you suggested.
I also entered the "set build commands" page and in the field to the right of the execute field I entered "%e;"
Now when I try to execute
I get a "C:\ WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" window opening,saying
access denied
press any key to continue...
when I press any key, the following message flashes up momentarily
the batch file cannot be found.

I don't know if that means anything to you or not.
but as I say thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate it

On Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 22:37, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

On 14-09-02 11:44 AM, james bernard wrote:

> I am a 61 year old total novice, and I would like to use GEANY as an IDE for the PYTHON programming language.
> I have a HP laptop with windows 8.1 installed and I have downloaded PYTHON 2.7.8 and GEANY 1.24. when I try to execute some code I have written I get the following error message.
>
> 19:41:30: Failed to execute "(null)" (start-script could not be created: Failed to create file: Permission denied)
> Can anyone help me get started

Hi,

When Geany runs your Python script, it first writes a "runner" script to
allow you to see the output of the Python script. It sounds like it's
trying create it in a non-accessible directory. You might be able to
make it work by right-clicking on the shortcut to Geany and in the
properties window, change the "Start in" directory to something inside
your personal directory (probably something like "C:\Users\You\Projects"
or whatever you want, as long as it's under your personal directory).
Alternatively, your Python script itself might be in a non-writable
directory, which might also cause this problem. You should move it to
anywhere under your personal directory (as above).

This might allow Geany to create this run script. If it's not that,
someone else might have a better idea, I'm far from a Win8 expert :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush