[Geany-Users] beginner

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Sep 2 21:45:54 UTC 2014

On 14-09-02 02:37 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 14-09-02 11:44 AM, james bernard wrote:
>>

>> I am a 61 year old total novice, and I would like to use GEANY as an
>> IDE for the PYTHON programming language.
>> I have a HP laptop with windows 8.1 installed and I have downloaded
>> PYTHON 2.7.8 and GEANY 1.24. when I try to execute some code I have
>> written I get the following error message.
>>
>> 19:41:30: Failed to execute "(null)" (start-script could not be
>> created: Failed to create file: Permission denied)
>> Can anyone help me get started
>>

> Hi,
>
> When Geany runs your Python script, it first writes a "runner" script to
> allow you to see the output of the Python script. It sounds like it's
> trying create it in a non-accessible directory. You might be able to
> make it work by right-clicking on the shortcut to Geany and in the
> properties window, change the "Start in" directory to something inside
> your personal directory (probably something like "C:\Users\You\Projects"
> or whatever you want, as long as it's under your personal directory).
> Alternatively, your Python script itself might be in a non-writable
> directory, which might also cause this problem. You should move it to
> anywhere under your personal directory (as above).
>
> This might allow Geany to create this run script. If it's not that,
> someone else might have a better idea, I'm far from a Win8 expert :)

Also, once you get past that, you might have issue since IIRC Python
doesn't add itself to your "PATH" environment variable, at least by
default. See the answer here for how to do that (but no need to reboot
like it says to, just re-start Geany):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21372637/installing-python-2-7-on-windows-8

Cheers,
Matthew Brush