[Geany] reflow lines

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Sat May 14 03:44:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 May 2011 12:36, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It uses the line breaking column if it is set otherwise it uses the
>>> long line marker if it is set, otherwise it just beeps at you.
>>
>> Thanks, Lex.
>>
>> Just grabbed 0.21 (r5796) from svn and it's still showing me the same
>> behavior: it only wraps when I have long-line marker enabled (and is
>> using the column value for the long-line marker). Not getting any beep
>> if I try when long-line marker is disabled.
>
> Ahhh, I see what I said could be misinterpreted, by "line breaking
> column if it is set"  I mean if "line breaking" is set not just if the
> column is set.
>
> The point is if the user has line breaking set then it makes sense to
> reflow to the same column, otherwise reflow to the long line setting
> as we always did.

Ah, of course. I see what you mean now. Yes, the behavior you describe
works as advertised. (I hadn't noticed the per-document Line Breaking
setting.) Would be useful if there were a hover tooltip on the "Line
breaking column" line in the "Editor : Feature" pref pane that said,
"this is for the per-document line-breaking setting".

Incidentally, I like the terminology used here: line breaking (for
automatically putting in real newlines while you're typing), and line
wrapping (for simply displaying long lines wrapped). Nice and clear.

And, as you point out,

 1. If I have the long-line marker disabled, *but* have the
per-document line-breaking setting enabled, then Ctrl-J (reflow) works
great (and uses the "line-breaking column" pref setting), and

2. Geany does indeed beep at me if I try to use Ctrl-J when it won't
work (though, when getting the beep, it would be useful to get a
message telling me, "for reflow to work, either turn on per-document
line-breaking for this document, or else enable the long-line marker
pref").

Thanks!
---John