[Geany] incremental search backward revisited

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Tue Jan 29 21:42:32 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 3:47 PM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:15:17 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 29, 2008 12:55 PM, Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > But since I keep my Geany toolbar hidden 99.99% of the time,
> > > most of what I say here is probably just noise anyway :-)
> >
> > I'd keep the toolbar hidden myself if I didn't need that search field.
> > It's always nice to get an extra couple of lines in the main text
> > pane. :) My tool bar is basically empty except for the search field,
> > and just mostly takes up space.
>
> Any idea how an incremental search without a text entry field could be?

After the user initiates either an ISF or ISB, maybe you could echo
the search characters in the Status Bar (along with a little 'F' or
'B' to indicate forward or backward search direction). If the user has
the Status Bar hidden, initiating an incremental search could make it
visible.

> Open another dialog with a text entry? Sounds like the usual search
> dialog(Ctrl-F). Once searched with this dialog (and closed it), you can
> do incremental search forward and backward.

Yeah, I think that would defeat the purpose of a fast unobtrusive
incremental search. Also, part of the usefulness of incremental search
is how the search result gets highlighted as you type. Having a dialog
in the way could obscure that.

---John