[Geany] Scintilla 1.75 (Filetype Support and more)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jan 29 20:54:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:04:46 -0500, Taylor Venable
<taylor at metasyntax.net> wrote:

> The latest version of Scintilla has many more filetypes supported than
> the version currently used by Geany.  It's not that hard to port Geany
> over to using Scintilla 1.75 (I was able to do it this afternoon in
We are already using Scintilla 1.75 in Geany...
The embedded Scintilla component is updated mostly soon after a new
Scintilla release is out. And we only remove these lexers we don't need
and don't use. No need to carry around unused code.

> about half-an-hour after poking around).  This doesn't provide the
Waste of time, sorry.

> filetype information used by Geany (e.g. colors, keyword list, etc as
> defined in filetype.lang) to do the syntax highlighting, but it does
> put the lexer framework in place, and such information can easily be
> obtained, maybe from SciTE or the language specification or any other
> text editor.  If I'm right about this, it shouldn't be too hard to add
> a lot of new languages at once to Geany.  Then again, I'm new to
No, adding(or not removing) the lexers in Scintilla isn't a big deal
indeed but all other things related to filetypes in Geany is much more
work. In highlighting.c, you need to map the Scintilla style names to
the style names used in a data/filetype.foo file which you also have to
create. You need to add the filetype in filetypes.c and so on. Adding
Scintilla lexers is the easy job.

> Scintilla 1.75 also offers several other improvements.  I myself am
> partial to the fact that it can render indentation guides over blank
> lines.  Does it seem like a good idea to move to this newer version of
Not sure what you mean. Did you try Preferences->Display->Show
indentation guides?