[Geany] incremental search backward revisited

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jan 29 16:37:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:53:14 -0600, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
<yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2008 10:16 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Having a right-click popup menu item for the search field
> > might be a stretch because I suspect most users would
> > never think of looking there.
I also don't like the popup menu item, to complicated to reach, IMO.

> > Nick's idea is great for users who just want the single
> > fast keybinding.
Yes.

> Yes, that's a good idea, although still not-so-obvious
> for newbies.
But we will add this because at least we have the feature and I think
it's not too hard to reach the preferences dialog and set a keybinding
for users who want this feature. Anyway, any graphical hint would be
nice.

> > Changing the background color would seem to be ok, since
> > it's already being done for when the search returns no
> > results.
>
> Should be OK, but if it's done, then I think Geany should
> always override the user's gtkrc settings, to make sure
> the default widget is always black-on-white.
I think we shouldn't touch the user's gtkrc settings if it isn't
really necessary at all.

> > It might also be a good idea to add thin up- and down-
> > arrows in there (one for each icon graphic), since that
> > would not only make the change in search direction more
> > obvious...
>
> That sounds like a better idea to me. Or maybe a green
> rightward arrow for forward and a yellow leftward arrow
> for backwards, possibly overlayed with the search icon.
> ( My theme shows a Sherlock-Holmes-style magnifying glass,
> but you mentioned yours is binoculars?  )
There is one problem with using modified or customized icons: they
probably don't fit in user's icon theme. E.g. the Save All toolbar
icon, it probably doesn't look like the other save icons on your
system. I created it long time ago using the usual save icon and added
another disk behind the first disk. As I did this, it looked well
because my usual save icon was just this disk symbol but later, I
changed my icon theme and so it doesn't look consistent now(the
problem is there is no stock icon for "Save All"). And this will happen
everytime when using own icons, they don't fit in the remaining icon
theme. Therefore I'd like to avoid this whenever possible.

At the moment, the only way I see is an additional icon next to the
search field in the toolbar but on the other hand, I don't like to add
yet another icon only for ISB.
My idea of the right-click on the toolbar search icon to do a ISB could
be indeed a bit confusing and isn't very intuitive too. This would
probably also need some extra documentation like in the tooltip. But at
least it would be easy to implement ;-).

Well, since we are about to release 0.13 very soon, all this will have
to wait until after the 0.13 release. We will at least add the
keybinding for ISB.