[Geany] incremental search backward revisited

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Mon Jan 28 15:53:14 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 10:16 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having a right-click popup menu item for the search field
> might be a stretch because I suspect most users would
> never think of looking there.

Yes, it might not be such a great idea, but considering
the constraints:
 * Don't want an extra button on the toolbar.
 * Don't want to use a checkbox.
 * Do want the setting to be "mouseable"

I don't see a lot of remaining options. Possibly adding
a comment to the tooltip might help, if people happen to
accidently look there. Something like: "Find the text
entered in the current file, right-click for more options."

> Nick's idea is great for users who just want the single
> fast keybinding.

Yes, that's a good idea, although still not-so-obvious
for newbies.

> Changing the background color would seem to be ok, since
> it's already being done for when the search returns no
> results.

Should be OK, but if it's done, then I think Geany should
always override the user's gtkrc settings, to make sure
the default widget is always black-on-white.

> A vertically flipped image could be used as you suggest.

That was really just a joke, I didn't think you'd take it
seriously :-)

> It might also be a good idea to add thin up- and down-
> arrows in there (one for each icon graphic), since that
> would not only make the change in search direction more
> obvious...

That sounds like a better idea to me. Or maybe a green
rightward arrow for forward and a yellow leftward arrow
for backwards, possibly overlayed with the search icon.
( My theme shows a Sherlock-Holmes-style magnifying glass,
but you mentioned yours is binoculars?  )

> but also might hint to new users that the search can
> also be done in the opposite direction.

Good point.

 - Jeff