[Geany] Scripting language for plug-ins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jan 9 13:52:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:24:24 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anyhow, a while ago I posted that I was waiting for Python support for
> Geany. I should probably take that back. Really, most of these
> commonly-used scripting languages are very similar except for syntax
> differences. There's variables, loops, functions, and so on. Python
> makes OO programming very easy, but I'm not sure how much OO features
> are really required for writing an average plug-in for a text editor.
Well, I think this is not the question.
My intention to add a Python interface was to make it possible that
users can write their plugins in Python, whatever and however these
plugins will do.

> Enrico, have you tried writing any plug-ins in Lua yet? I may try to
To be honest: no. For me it's easier(basically, exceptions may
exist ;-)) to write some code in C/GTK than in Lua because for writing
something in Lua I had to learn it before, C/GTK I know well enough to
get some code working ;-).

A python interface probably won't provide many advantages via the Lua
interface but I guess there are many people who prefer to write Python
code because it's widely spread.