[Geany] Scripting language for plug-ins

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Tue Jan 8 01:24:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 4:25 PM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> Btw, I would like to work on the Python integration but still no idea
> how. If anyone has any experiences with that or know a good resource of
> documentation, feel free to post it(in a new thread please).

From what I can tell, Python's not too difficult to embed. Lua,
though, seems to take to embedding like a fish to water. And it's
small. And *fast* (check out this neat little benchmark
http://www.timestretch.com/FractalBenchmark.html ). One note about
Python: they're in the middle of a transition at the moment. Their
newest version ("Python 3000") has just had its 2nd alpha release.

Anyhow, a while ago I posted that I was waiting for Python support for
Geany. I should probably take that back. Really, most of these
commonly-used scripting languages are very similar except for syntax
differences. There's variables, loops, functions, and so on. Python
makes OO programming very easy, but I'm not sure how much OO features
are really required for writing an average plug-in for a text editor.

Enrico, have you tried writing any plug-ins in Lua yet? I may try to
take a crack at it this week.

---John