[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jan 7 21:25:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:58:05 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008 11:07 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:14:07 -0500, "John Gabriele"
> > <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think, Frank, that in your previous post you hit the nail on the
> > > head. Users, in general, will probably not want to write their
> > > Geany plug-ins in C. And plug-ins written in a HLL like Lua are
> > > easily
> >
> > Lua is high-level programming level and C not? At least some years
> > ago C was also a high-level programming language ;-).
> > SCNR.
> >

> I see your point, Enrico, but my hunch is still that, if an average
> Geany user wants a plug-in that doesn't yet exist, they're most likely
> going to write it in a "high-level scripting language", or not write
> it at all. Of course, my crystal ball has been failing unit tests
> since I first plucked it from the land fill, so take that with a grain
> of salt. :)
Sure ;-).
I know what you mean, I just wanted to mention that IMO C is also a
high-level programming language and yes, it's not a scripting language.
And yes, I also agree that average users(dangerous to speak about
"average" users in general ;-)) might rather be or get familar with
some easy scripting languages than with a real programming language.
Just a matter of taste and for plugins it might be indeed useful to use
scripting languages if possible.
Btw, I would like to work on the Python integration but still no idea
how. If anyone has any experiences with that or know a good resource of
documentation, feel free to post it(in a new thread please).